Like all mothers, I am not satisfied with just trying out one recipe. I definitely had to try out another recipe for beef caldereta that has been playing in my head for quite some time now.
With the weekend nearing, I made sure I had all of my ingredients ready for our Sunday lunch. My son likes certain “sauced” dishes but he was never a fan of caldereta. Keeping my fingers crossed, I served him one bowl of this dish along with steamed rice. The verdict??? “Mommy, can I have some more rice and caldereta please?”.
I hope you like this too! 🙂
1 kilogram beef spareribs
1 medium sized onion, sliced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups tomato sauce
2 small cans of liver spread
4 medium potatoes, cubed into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 cup shredded cheese
1-2 medium-sized green bell peppers
1 small red chili (sliced lengthwise)
salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
- Boil spareribs in plain water until tender. If you don’t like using a pressure cooker, this usually takes about 1-2 hours at low-medium heat.
- Remove spareribs from broth. Set aside broth for later use.
- Heat oil.
- Sauté garlic until slightly brown. Add onions and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add spareribs and cook until slightly brown.
- Add in tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of the beef broth.
- Stir, cover, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in potatoes, liver spread, cheese, and fish sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce is slightly thick. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Add in chili and bell pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Note: You can add in carrots, green peas, or olives if you wish.