I have always been in search of a moist chocolate cake that is really affordable and do-able even for a newbie. You can’t imagine my delight when a fellow home baker shared her family’s secret recipe. I tried it and liked it, even though I tweaked some of the ingredients that she used. What’s great here is that it’s VEGAN to boot, which means there is no need to worry in case you are allergic to milk and eggs. Thanks Kate of My Baking Momma for sharing this and for allowing me to share it in return.
4 cups cake flour
1-1/2 cup white sugar
1-1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
9 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee (I used decaffeinated so the kids can eat it too)
1 tablespoon baking soda
1-1/4 teaspoon iodized salt
1-1/4 cup canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
3 cups hot water
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons chocolate or vanilla extract (optional)
– Preheat oven to 325°F.
– Grease pans or line cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
– In a mixing bowl, sift all dry ingredients together.
– Make a well in the center.
– Add the liquid ingredients and mix for 2 minutes with an electric mixer. If you are using a wooden spoon, simply mix the dry and liquid ingredients until free of lumps.
– Pour into the pan and bake 40-60 minutes for cakes and 25-30 minutes for cupcakes, or until cake tester/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Allow to cool in the pan before transferring to the cake plate/board.
– Makes 40 pieces of 3-ounce cupcakes; one 10×14 inch rectangular cake; two 10×2 inch round pans.
It is important that you allow the cake to completely cool in the pan because it has a tendency to fall apart if you try to invert it while it is still hot from the oven.
You can serve this with a dusting of powdered sugar and chocolate powder, or if you’re not allergic to milk then by all means frost it with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.