This is the Filipino version of beef stew and is normally served during special occasions. This can be cooked using beef, chicken, pork, lamb or goat meat — but for now we shall be using beef. Want it to be spicy? Add a dash of cayenne pepper or crush small red chillies and add it to the mixture. This tastes better when cooked slowly although you can also use a pressure cooker to lessen the cooking time in making the meat tender.
1 kilo beef, cut into cubes
1 cup chopped onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 big can tomato sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup pickle relish
4 pieces medium-sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 cup grated cheese
2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a casserole pan, sauté garlic and chopped onions in oil until lightly browned.
- Add beef, tomato sauce, soy sauce, bell pepper and pickle relish.
- Fill the can of tomato sauce with water and pour into the mixture.
- Simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and cook until done.
- Add grated cheese and olives.
- Allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.